I've Never Been to Spain but I Have Been to the Duchy of DelBasid

I always envisioned my life as a destination, and my goal was to be like Holland – level, no unexpected changes, flowers along the way, and a few windmills to provide a gentle breeze to propel me along when I slowed down. I was prepared for that environment. Instead, my life ended up like Nepal – high mountains to climb, deep valleys to traverse, steep rocky trails, harsh climate, and moss instead of flowers. I have come to appreciate and survive these challenging and tough surroundings I find myself living in.

I have a dual citizenship in both the U. S. and DelBasid, as do my husband and son. The ironic thing is I did not choose to live in this kingdom. It was an unwilling destination on my part, thrust upon me when I married. It was a family arranged affair. The Duke’s grandmother, the Dowager Duchess of Guiney, selected me for Duke William the Younger. She arranged for us to meet in college, it was love at first sight, and we have had 41 years of marital happiness. A fairy tale with a “happily ever after ending” – almost.

I was born for temperate climates, an uncomplicated life, and quiet contemplation. I was shy, bookish, and somewhat introverted and unconfident. My husband set out to boost my confidence and help me get over my shyness. Duke William the Younger put me in a classroom of his subjects to teach. If you can survive in a classroom of 12 and 13 year olds, you can endure just about anything. They gave me survival skills for the life I would have to lead in my new country.

The Duchy of DelBasid is similar to Nepal with many physical obstacles to deal with, a culture that isn't well understood, and the population living there have to adapt to a variety of difficult conditions. It is an overlooked principality. The citizens call themselves TiyitiBasid and have many skills and abilities.

I am proud to be a part of such a vibrant, talented population. My goal is to bring attention to my nation and its culture, customs, and etiquette so others will start to feel a little more relaxed with us, and we would seem less foreign if they took steps to understand us.

If you are on your way to look in an atlas for this realm because you are curious about this country and its way of life, you won't find it on any map. DelBasid is "disabled" spelled backwards. You can become a citizen of the Duchy of Del Basid at any time or if you live long enough.

Although I am a reluctant Duchess, I want to share with you our family’s experiences living in the Duchy of DelBasid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


The Duchess of DelBasid

Her Grace is co-regent of a family having multiple disabilities, including an adult son with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and a husband who is deaf in one ear. She has degenerative arthritis and uses a motorized scooter because the Duke won't let her have a Harley. Their daughter and heir-apparent says her disability is not having one. Her Grace rules the Duchy of DelBasid with a firm, but gracious hand.

Duke William II

Duke William II

Marquis William

Marquis William

Marquise Caitlin

Marquise Caitlin

Duke William I

Duke William I
Father of Duke William II

Grand Duchess Elizabeth

Grand Duchess Elizabeth
Mother of Duke William II

Duchess Of Guiney

Duchess Of Guiney
Grandmother of Duke William II

Royal Palace

Royal Palace